How to Change the Fuel Filter in a 2007 Freestar
Replacing the fuel filter
- 1). Disconnect your battery's negative cable.
- 2). Remove the Freestar's fuel filler cap.
- 3). Place a roll jack under the gas tank, midway between the first two gas tank straps. Raise the jack until it is barely touching the tank.
- 4). Disconnect the first two gas tank straps using the 13mm wrench or socket.
- 5). Lower the tank about 1 foot by lowering the jack.
- 6). Remove the cover from the fuel filter. It has a plastic pop-out plug-type connection. Remove it by using pliers and a flat-head screwdriver to push the center of the plug out as far as possible, then prying it out the remainder of the way.
- 7). Use pliers to disconnect the push clips.
- 8). Remove the filter from the fuel line hoses and replace it with the new filter. The hoses leading into and out of the filter are two different sizes, and the filter fits only one way.
- 9). Reverse the above procedure reinstall the filter and tank.